Those substance which can directly kill an unwanted organism or control by interfering with its reproduction process are called pesticides.
Pests harm the crops and transmit diseases both to human being and animals.
We can produce large amount of food on relatively small amount of land by using pesticides.
Types of pesticides:
There are more than ten thousand synthetic organic pesticides which have been formulated. There are several principal types according to their general chemical nature.
Which kills the insects.
Which kill the undesired plants.
Which control the growth of fungus on the plant.
Pesticides and eradication of diseases:
Various pesticides have been used for the eradications of following diseases:
- Yellow fever
- Bubonic plague
- Sleeping sickness
Moreover, the pesticides boost up the crop production.
Pesticides and contamination of soil:
When pesticides are used excessively then there is a possibility of greater crop yield. Anyhow, if this use is not properly checked and controlled then the soil is contaminated along with plants and water.
Following are different aspects in this respect:
- Pesticides are used for agriculture. The drainage water from agriculture land has pesticides in it. This water will transport the pesticides to those places which were neat and clean.
- The agricultural food products and the drinking water is affected by the pesticides.
- Chlorinated hydrocarbons are not biodegradable.
They remain in the environment for a very long time. This environment is consisted of:
- DDT is one of the most powerful insecticide. Its chemical name is para-dichlorophenyl dichloromethane. There was a time when it was commonly used. In these days it is thought to be carcinogenic. Its manufacture has been banned in many countries.
- All the pesticides are poisonous.
- All the pesticides have serious health problems for human being and animals.
Organic chemicals in drinking water:
Organic chemical join our fresh water by one way or the other. There are some organic chemicals which don’t have invisible effect at low concentration.
Anyhow, some synthetic organic chemicals have serious and great health risks even at very low concentration. This low concentration may be 10 parts per billion or even below that.
Some of the organic chemical are tasteless and colorless even at high concentration.
There are many light molecular weight chlorinated hydrocarbons in drinking water which are carcinogenic and they don’t have any safe level. For this reason they cannot be consumed through air, food or water without the risk of adverse health effects.
Chlorinated hydrocarbons and various disease:
Synthetic organic chemicals including chlorinated hydrocarbons can cause the following problems:
- Skin eruptions
- Effect on central nervous system
One should be careful that when such compounds are taken in low concentration then there is a long period of time between exposure and the appearance of the disease.