What is protein?
- Proteins are polypeptides.
- Proteins undergo hydrolysis to give a-amino acids.
- Proteins are present in muscle, skin, hair, and other tissue that make up the body’s nonbony structure As enzymes they catalyze biochemical reactions; as hormones, they regulate metabolic processes.
Isolation of proteins.
Importance of proteins.
Structure of proteins.
- A protein may contain more than 1 amino acid chain.
- The sequence of amino acids in the protein chains is essentially random.
- Small variations in the sequence of amino acids have pronounced effects on the properties of the protein.
Denaturation of proteins.
- Denaturation does not after the primary structure of proteins. It only changes the secondary and tertiary structure of the protein. The highly ordered natural protein structures are converted to more random conformations.
- Denaturation results in loss of biological activity of proteins.