It is simplest aromatic carboxylic acid.
Benzoic Acid Preparation.
Benzoic acid is prepared:
(1) By oxidation of alkylbenzenes with acidic potassium permanganate or sodium dichromate.
(2) By reaction of phenylmagnesium bromide with carbon dioxide followed by acid-hydrolysis of the addition product.
(3) By acid-hydrolysis of phenyl cyanide (benzonitrile).
(4) By basic-hydrolysis of benzotrichloride. Benzotrichloride is obtained by chlorination of toluene.
Physical Properties of Benzoic Acid.
Chemical Properties of Benzoic Acid.
Benzoic Acid Uses.
- As germicide-in medicine for urinary infection and in vapour form for disinfecting bronchial tubes.
- As food preservative-sodium benzoate is used for preserving pickles, tomato ketchup, and fruit juices.