Replication of DNA.
Replication of DNA Diagram.
Fig. ‘Replication of DNA’ The double strand unwinds from one end and complementary stands are formed along each chain.
Biological Importance of DNA.
- DNA is hereditary material.
- DNA is a self duplicating structure.
- DNA controls all biochemical activities in a cell. The functional aspect of DNA was first of all studied by Ephrussi. Latter on Beadle and Tatum formulated one gene one enzyme hypothesis i.e., expression of genes is through enzymes. In other words expression of genes is formation proteins.
- DNA provides the necessary information for protein synthesis.
- DNA provides a convenient device to allow a particular sequence of base pair to be duplicated out of every complex molecule.
- Structure of DNA had made it possible to have an exact copy by an excellent mechanism of base pairing .
- Structure of DNA is such that extreme swelling and unravelling can occur easily. In primary structure DNA is very long while in tertiary structure DNA is very short.
- DNA can store and transmit informations.